Interested persons are requested to submit their hard copy applications: cover letter, Curriculum Vitae and copies of certificates no later than Friday 1st November ,2019:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Planning and Development
Attention: Director, Human Resources
4th Floor, Capital Plaza 11-13
Frederick Street Port-of-Spain
JOB TITLE: LEGAL OFFICER I
The Incumbent is required to perform professional legal work in a Ministry/Department under the direct supervision of a higher-level legal officer. Duties include appearing in court, providing legal advice and opinions and drafting legal documents on the matters Involving the Ministry/ Department. Depending on assignment, the Incumbent may be required to perform some or the full range of the duties of the position.
Reports To: Senior officer or other designated officer
SUPERVISION GIVEN TO: N/A
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represents the Ministry/Department on matters before the courts
- Provides advice on the less complex legal matters .
- Drafts the less complex legal documents and assists in the drafting of the more complex documents including contracts, leases and memorandums of agreements.
- Conducts research, interprets laws, rules and regulations and prepares legal opinions and briefs in respect of the less complex legal matters.
- Provides advice by supplying legal authorities based on research .
- Assists in performing court case preparation work such as Interviewing witnesses, taking depositions and preparing pre-trial briefs and draft pleadings for filing.
- Assists in reviewing existing legislation, rules and regulations related to the Ministry's/Department's operations and recommending appropriate amendments.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of an up to date repository of laws, judgments, contract precedents and related materials In respect of the Ministry's/Department's operations.
- Drafts Cabinet /Ministerial Notes, memoranda, letters and other documents on legal matters.
- Copies and collates relevant documents .
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the Laws of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Knowledge of legal principles, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of legal research methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of the court procedures and practices and of rules of evidence.
- Some knowledge of the laws and regulations related to the Ministry/Department's operations.
- Some knowledge of legal drafting principles and methods.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite .
- Skill in the use of personal computers .
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms .
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes .
- Skill in drafting legal documents/instruments .
- Ability to interpret and analyse the law and legal issues .
- Ability to present and explain statements of fact and the law, and to argue clearly and logically both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and members of the public.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- No experience required.
- Bachelor of Law Degree from a recognised institution.
- Legal Education Certificate or equivalent from a recognised institution.
- Admission to practice Law in Trinidad and Tobago.